everyone has said and done problematic things in their lifetime. that’s a result of the society we live in, not necessarily a reflection of their character.
what is a reflection of their character is how they react to being informed of the negativity within their behavior and statements, and whether or not they choose to change their behavior.
I think the saddest people always appear, or at least try to appear, the happiest because they have to remind themselves that there is still that part of them that exists — a part that lies buried beneath the weight of the debris that’s pulling them down.
Okay. Here’s a little background info about this because a little history lesson never hurt anyone.
This has been a long overdue post that me and my tumblr friends, Jess (scamae) & Jang (fluffyjang) — two people who I’m also very close friends with in real life — had planned to post in our blogs a long time ago, but never had the time to do so due to the increasing stress load of our course.
But lo and behold, now that one of us (me, myself, and I) has found just enough time to waste and a little more motivation to do it then I suppose I should start the ball rolling and just hope this carries on with my friends and inspire everyone else to do this.
This is meant to be a “30 random facts about yourself tag” so I’m sure the process is pretty understandable.
1. The first question people always ask me when they meet me for the first time is how I got my nickname. It confuses them as to why people preferably call me “Niño” when my nickname is not evidently present in my full name which is “Jose Miguel Escanuela.”
2. I got my nickname because I was born during a very famous festival in Cebu called Sinulog where people celebrate the birth of the child Jesus, who, in vernacular, is called “Sto. Niño.”
3. I’m very wordy as you can probably already point out by now and this is the asset I am most definitely proud of.
4. I will eat anything in a nutshell. Food is my fuel and I believe every restaurant is an open venture. I’m very adventurous in terms of food and I absolutely love teasing my tastebuds.
5. Saturday nights are my favorite time of the week. It is literally the middle of the weekend — the inbetween, if you must say — and I love spending this time in solitude watching movies and consuming every kind of snack I can find in the kitchen.
6. I had initially wanted to take up English Lit as a major for college, but my parents pleaded with me to take up anything else but that (they even resorted to bribery so I’d take the entrance exam of this other college) so I’m stuck studying Occupational Therapy.
7. Most of my close friends can vouch for this: I always end up being the last to almost everything. I’m the last one to finish eating, the last one to finish taking a shower, and the last one (or at least part of the last batch) to finish in taking exams.
8. I am generally a very “touchy” person. So please try to understand that I am not trying to molest you in any way by doing this, but just trying to satisfy my sensory needs.
9. I used to be in a choir in high school, but it was never anything serious. Me and my friends just wanted to join so we could be exempted from Scouting and CAT duties. In the end, our plan failed miserably.
10. To date, I have only had one relationship in the course of my existence. I would say we were young, clueless, and running in different directions. I couldn’t believe we actually lasted for a year and 3 months until we broke it off.
11. Since then, my relationship status has dwindled down the drain and I’ve been getting as much action as a rock on a deserted highway.
12. I competed in multiple spelling bees when I was in grade school and won in some of them. I consider this the most eventful time of my life.
13. I’ve been stuttering a lot lately.
14. There is no organization to my thoughts. My mind is just this clutter of ideas and whatnot and I’m just desperately grabbing at them for some relief.
15. I can’t put a finger on the exact word that can describe my high school life, but in essence, it is a process I am somehow willing to go through again.
16. Three facts in one number: I love the color green. I love the number 7. I’m a Capricorn.
17. Biggest fear? Spiders. Greatest fear? Being alone in the world.
18. I love solving crossword puzzles. Call me a geek and maybe old-fashioned, but it’s a fun way of learning about new words and it relaxes me. Solving crosswords over the holidays with my grandpa is the best tradition I will forever cherish.
19. I’m not the most “macho” (for lack of a better word) man you will ever meet, but my losses outweigh my gains. I’ve somehow come to the belief that being a gentle lover will always be better than being a rough fighter.
20. I have an obsesive-compulsive streak in my personality — a trait I may have acquired from my mother. To contextualize this, I have this unhealthy need to fix grammatical errors.
21. I’m lazy and I procrastinate when every opportunity arises, but the biggest mystery is that I somehow get my work done whenever it’s due.
22. There was a rough time in high school when I went through a “Jeje-phase” (as how me and my friends usually dub it). All my messages used to come out looking like this: “hElLo tHeRe!” I’m still in denial, but I have led myself to believe that we’ve all gone through this phase. Yup, we’ve all gone through this phase.
23. My daily mantra is: I will try to be a better person today. Of course, the keyword here is 'try.'
24. I could never stomach multiple doses of caffeine, but if it gets me through my course unscathed then it’s good enough for me!
25. I am an avid reader. I love reading and, above all, I love books! My mother once told me I used to love reading as a child so much that I would read everything including the list of ingredients and nutritional facts listed on various products in the supermarket.
26. With the last fact in mind, I guess you can say I’m the least athletic person you will ever meet. My sporting skills are just laughable.
27. I once challenged myself to go to the gym. It only lasted for a month because halfway through the end of one of my sessions, my nose started to bleed and it scared me enough to quit. It was probably my body’s way of reminding me of my ineptitude and telling me that the gym is definitely not a place for me. But maybe someday I’ll return and prove to myself that I can.
28. Sarcasm is my natural response to everything, especially adverse situations.
29. I’m living a life filled with delicious irony.
And last but not the least….
30. I love reading facts so I’d like to see you do this and pass it on so we can all learn a little more about ourselves and others! :-)